The second floor of the Waldroup building on Everett Street in Bryson City, NC. is named “The Kephart” in honor of the Dean of American Campers, celebrated Author and one of the Principal Founders of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park; Horace Kephart. Who, in the 1920s made this loft his home and office. He often referred to it as “my den". This downtown Bryson City building sits on the bank of the Tuckaseigee river and from the balcony gave him a view of his beloved smoky mountains. The flight of outside stairs from Everett Street to the balcony was removed in 1929 when the small barber shop was built next door. Kephart’s porch, that second floor balcony overlooking the Tuckaseigee River, still remains behind the barbershop as part of The Kephart loft. It was here that Horace Kephart completed his novel “Smoky Mountain Magic", wrote many articles on camping and championed the fight to save the smoky mountains by establishing a National Park.
"© GSMA 2010. All rights reserved.
For more historical info about Horace Kephart, we suggest exploring these:
Online Exhibit by Western Carolina University:
Horace Kephart - Revealing an Enigma
Great Smoky Mountains National Park Campaign
Additional Historical References :
Kephart, Horace Sowers by George Ellison,
Kephart's life after Hazel Creek
Horace Kephart, champion of the Smokies
Founding Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Digital archives of Kepharts Books:
The Book of Camping and Woodcraft
Our Southern Highlanders
This historic 7 bedroom loft is ideally located overlooking Everett Street as well as the Tuckasegee River, in the heart of Bryson City. Built in 1895, at nearly 130 years old, this building has seen floods (1916 & 1940), fire (1950) and blizzards, but has stood the test of time as one of the oldest remaining structures in downtown Bryson City. “The Kephart” gets its name from America’s greatest outdoorsman, Horace Kephart. After writing “Our Southern Highlanders”, Kephart returned from Appalachia to continue working in Bryson City, and “The Kephart” served as the Bryson City den for the world famous author, as he continued to pen his later works. Not wanting to stray too far from the downtown action he wrote about, but maintain a close proximity to his beloved Great Smoky Mountains (the National Park he helped create), Kephart found that 60 Everett Street provided the perfect location on the river, next to the town square and courthouse (currently Swain County Historical Museum), and within 2 miles to his favorite campsite (The Bryson Place) at the Deep Creek entrance to the Smoky Mountains National Park. With a convenient downtown location, The Kephart is the perfect basecamp for travelers looking to be in the center of activities while creating their own memories within one of Bryson City’s most storied structures! Grab a coffee at one of our quaint neighborhood coffee houses, or stroll over to one of our local breweries to enjoy some regional libations! At The Kephart, you are just steps away from the all the amazing shopping and dining that downtown Bryson City has to offer.
One of the best features of this property is the large private courtyard that sits overlooking the beautiful Tuckaseegee River! Enjoy delicious dining on the outside patio table, or kick back and relax by the gas log fire pit as you listen to the river flow past you under the shade of the gazebo. The uniqueness and seclusion of this courtyard will surely have you feeling like you are in your very own private oasis!
A short set of stairs will lead you up from the courtyard to the entry way of The Kephart. This loft is a single level property that sits on the second level of the building above the popular Everett Street shops below. Walking through the door you are warmly welcomed into this chic and sophisticated downtown loft. There are seven bedrooms and two bathrooms in total. The bedrooms are found along the parameter of this property with varying bed sizes: four queen size beds, two king size beds, and one with two twin size beds. There is a large living room and kitchen that sit central to this property with lots of beautiful windows that display views of downtown. There is one master suit with a king size bed and private bath in this loft. Sit back and watch the large flat screen tv that hangs in the living room, or grab a book and curl up in one of the reading nooks. You are sure to find everything you want and more when you visit The Kephart.
CAROLINA MOUNTAIN VACATIONS
VACATION RENTAL AGREEMENT
Click Here to Print or View Complete V.R.A. as pdf
If you have questions about this Vacation Rental Agreement, we would love to answer them for you.
Our toll free number for questions about this agreement is: 877-488-8500.
To view required payment at Booking, Click on the "Get Quote" button.
Reservation balance due at check-in.
Military Discounts can only be applied by
Reservationist after confirmation of eligibility.
(full descriptions and details provided in VRA)
Cancellations with short notice are unfair to both Carolina Mountain Vacations as well as the Cabin owner.
If you must cancel be sure to do so at least 31 days in advance of your arrival date.
If you elected to purchase trip insurance, the travel insurance company should be contacted with the claim by tenant.
NO RENTALS will be permitted to ANYONE UNDER 21 YEARS OF AGE.
All Guest are required to Check-In at our office:
40 Greenlee Street, Bryson City, NC 28713
For Directions to our office.
CHECK-IN is AFTER 4 P.M.
A.) Pay any outstanding balance in full.
B.) You will be handed printed detailed directions and information to access keys to your vacation cabin on the day you check-in at our office.
Internet mapping devises and navigation systems are NOT recommended for use in the Western NC Mountains ( GPS signal reception is spoty in the mountains).
CHECK-OUT is by 11 A.M.
To check-out you do not need to come by our office. Simply, Call our office to let us know you are leaving.
Before leaving the cabin Please:
* Just leave the linens and towls where they are, laundry services are part of the Departure Cleaning (not part of your Vacation)
*No need to run to the dump with your trash, we got that too. Just make sure the lids are on Tight.
*Remove all perishable food from cabinets and refrigerator.
*Start the dishwasher, if cabin is equipped. Dish soap is provided under sink
* Check for all personal belongings. Items left behind can be sent back with a $20 retrieval fee, plus shipping, will be charged
*Lock all doors and place keys back in the lock box
*Don't forget to give us a call as you head out.
Early Check-In and Late Check-Out:
If you are planning a late arrival time to your North Carolina vacation cabin rental, please contact our cabin rental office during business hours to make arrangements. Our office hours are 9 am to 9 pm, 7 days a week. Requests for early check-in or late check-out will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact our office no less than 24 hours in advance with requests for an early arrival or late departure. Consideration is given based upon the property’s “status” immediately prior to or following your reservation.
Failure to disclose an accurate Guest count or the presence of unregistered Guests could result in immediate eviction, forfeiture of any remaining rent and an additional charge of $250 deducted from card on file.
Children 12 and under stay free.
Maximum occupancy refers to all persons over the age of one year old. Violations of maximum occupancy can cause property damage as well as violate local laws and regulations. (Most mountain cabins and homes run on private septic and well systems. Overtaxing these systems can cause serious problems.) Any maximum occupancy violation constitutes a breach of contract and Guest agrees that any such violation, in addition to any other remedies herein, will result in immediate eviction of Guests, forfeiture of any remaining rent and an additional charge of $250 representing liquidated damages.
Policies for Carolina Mountain Vacations Pet-Friendly Cabins
Guests will be required to sign the CMV Pet Policy at Check-In.
There are potential consequences for bringing an unauthorized pet onto any CMV property.
1. For pet friendly cabins, there is a one time $45 non-refundable pet fee for each pet up to a max of 3 pets. Any misrepresentation regarding the number of pets at the cabin will be charged accordingly.
2. Pets are only permitted with prior approval. Be sure to notify us if you are bringing a dog to one of our pet-friendly cabins. If prior approval has not been authorized and there is evidence of a pet having been at the property, the penalty may include a $200 charge, immediate removal of the pet and eviction from the cabin with the forfeiture of all rental payments.
3. CMV only accepts well-behaved, housebroken dogs into our pet friendly cabins. Even though we love all pets, we regret that we are unable to allow any animals other than dogs in our rental cabins. Absolutely no cats are permitted in CMV rental cabins. For the purpose of this agreement, the term “pet” is always used in reference to a dog. In the interest of protection your dog, a leash should always be used when your dog is outside. While North Carolina does not have a state leash law, please note that cities and counties may have stricter regulations. No dog shall be tied outside the Cabin unless supervised by a responsible adult
4. As a general rule, dogs should not be left unattended in cabins. In an unfamiliar environment dogs may act uncharacteristically and unpredictably. They may get nervous and bark, causing a disturbance to neighbors. Or they may harm the cabin by chewing, scratching or making messes that they would not typically make at home. Please remember to be respectful of nearby neighbors. Always use a crate in the rare event that a dog must be left alone.
5. Legal Disclaimer: Any damages to the cabin or cabin property or another person because of a pet will be the sole responsibility of the registered Guest. Guests are held financially responsible for all physical damages to the Cabin (i.e. chewing, scratching, flea infestation, etc.) inflicted on the Cabin by the presence of a pet. If extra cleaning is deemed reasonable due to the presence of a pet (i.e. soiled furniture and/or flooring, hair on furnishings or bedding, fleas), the Guest will be held financially responsible and the credit card on file will be charged for the amount of the repair/recovery. CMV is not responsible for harm caused to any pet.
Please review the Road Scale info for this cabin before booking.
Guest acknowledges that access to rented property will require driving on gravel and paved mountain roads that may in places be steep and has been given recommendation on the minimum type of vehicle needed to safely drive the road to property. CMV will not give refund or be held liable if guest does not adhere to recommended vehicle type and is not able to or refuses to drive up road to cabin. Nor can CMV be held responsible for temporary weather conditions that alter road conditions. Please adhere to any recommendation or requirement for a four-wheel-drive vehicle when listed in a property description. It is highly recommended that Guests try to arrive during daylight hours for their first visit to our area to become familiar with the area and roads. Our cleaning and maintenance staff drive these roads in their personal vehicles almost daily and report any major road issues; such as washouts, fallen trees or rocks. CMV will upon notification from staff or guest, contact appropriate local authorities to have road cleared or repaired.
For full explanation of Road Scale and NC Mountain driving tips.